The biggest "to do" item for Cathy was to finish the projects she had signed on to do for Doug and Lisa. The stackpack and bimini were in place, but now she had to make bimini windows with covers and a sunshade. It took a little more than a week to complete, but they came together well and look good. The last stitches were going into a few cockpit pockets Saturday night before we left for Richmond. They were delivered as we were leaving town. By the time we returned, Carefree had moved on to a nearby marina to be hauled, so the work was finished just in time. Dave even got his hand in at the sewing machine making a winch cover.
Orion's recent safety inspection showed a problem with the LED bulb in the stern light. Some of the diodes were not lighting, although it was able to pass inspection. Dave decided to order replacement bulbs for Orion's bow, stern and anchor light. Orion Jr's safety inspection in June had highlighted a problem there as well. It was a little more subtle. We had only one all-around white light on Jr, which was at the top of the mast. This was for both our steaming light and our anchoring light. However, it had a photocell on it, and would therefore only light when it was dark. This worked especially well when we were at anchor, since the light would always come on automatically at dusk. However, the inspector pointed out that we would have no way of turning on our steaming light in foggy conditions, since the photocell would not force the light on.
With Orion Jr's temporary mast in place, there was no issue, since we could simply reach up and cover the photocell to force the light on. However, when the light was returned to the top of the regular mast, we couldn't reach it. So, we decided to order another anchor light for Orion Jr's mast, which would allow us to turn it on and off. It means a little more power draw at anchor (or more work to turn it on and off), but at least we can now turn it on at will if we need to.
We continued to strip unnecessary stuff off Orion Jr in an effort to lighten her on the trailer. In all, we've removed about 150 lbs, which should give us the leeway to account for the mast, boom, sails and dinghy which weren't on board the last time she was on the scales.
For the first time, we were recruited to join in the Tri-Service Race, a competition between the Air Force's Langley Yacht Club, Norfolk Naval Sailing Association and Fort Monroe (former Army post)'s Old Point Comfort Yacht Club. It has some complex point systems to determine that winner that encourages participation. Each club gets a point for each boat that starts the race. We were asked to join Bob on Ruach as crew along with our friend, Sue. We made it to South Hall Landing bright and early and were on our way out toward the Hampton flats where the race would begin.
We volunteered for a 2nd year at Hampton's Bay Days festival, opting to serve meals in the VIP area of the festival. We had a good group of volunteers and also got to sample some good food. Although our shift was only for a few hours on Friday, we put some time in on Saturday and Sunday as well. The coordinators were glad to have us and we had a good time.