In the rooms being modified for Beyond 90, we were at the painting stage, having done all the construction work to build and modify walls. For several days running, we primed and painted until we had done all that we could reach. While the work is not done, the next stages will be in the hands of different workers.
Yes. We’ve sold Orion Jr, but not all of the things associated with her have left to new owners. As March began, we had a handful of larger items that we couldn’t practically take with us when we leave Faith with the RV. Among these was the drifter sail, a large 20yd bolt of fabric (intended to repair the cover if the boat didn’t sell), a non-working outboard, and a 90-watt solar panel. We managed to sell 2 of these 4 items so far. And although we have a lot of interest in both of the other 2, no one seems to want to actually buy them. We’ve still got a little more time, though.
As we prepared to head out of town for a couple of weeks, we had some preparations to make to the RV to allow it to sit unattended for that time. As we’ve done in the past, we wanted to reconnect our In-Command system (digital control of many of the RV’s systems) to Wifi so that we can monitor and control the RV systems remotely. But before we had a chance to think about making this happen, we started having problems. The air conditioning would simply stop cycling, so that the RV would start to heat up. (Yes, we have been using the AC in Florida.) To fix this, we simply turn the AC off and back on and it would start working again. This problem hadn’t happened for several months, so we thought we were past it. But not only was it back, it was worse. The AC wouldn’t stay running for long after it was turned off and on.
Knowing we had to connect the In-Command to Wifi anyway and that, by doing so, it would check for software updates, we went ahead and put it on the network. Sure enough there were some software updates. One for the display module had been out since last June, which inspired confidence that it was stable. It was after the last software update that our problems started.) The other release for the BCM was less certain. The release showing on the display wasn’t even on their website. A quick call to tech support confirmed we could just apply the Display update, which we did. And.?
No re-boots. No bluetooth disconnects. No problems with the AC controls. And, even better, we tested and had confidence in the alarm features that would help us detect problems while we were away. If a temperature went too high or low, a tank was too full or empty or if the battery voltage dropped, we would be notified. We tested them out and they worked great. This even gave us the confidence to leave our fridge running, since we could monitor battery levels in the event of a prolonged power interruption. (Of course, that meant Cathy had to defrost the fridge instead, but better that than emptying it.)
We have used a battery monitor on the RV since shortly after we purchased it, but the unit we had no longer was telling us the amps used. Dave decided to replace it with a newer version that would have use an app for the display. And although we had to replace the shunt that connected to the batteries, this unit made that much easier than our current one. That being said, the shunt is located just above the batteries and getting to it is pretty awkward.
It had been over 3 years since we had seen Dave’s sister Wendy and her husband Dave in person. When we learned they were headed our way, we agreed to meet for an early supper on an (unfortunately) chilly afternoon near St. Augustine. (Brother-in-law Dave was going to compete in a Barbershop competition there.) It was good to see them, and we hope our next visit will be months away not years.