With the start of school, the number of volunteers working to prep the cabins dwindled quite a bit, but the work kept getting done. In Chickahominy, Park Host Joe finished the peaks on all of the cabins, while we focused on areas closer to the ground. When we did get a few volunteers to help, they finished painting the porch ceilings on all the cabins and the lodge. Working overhead like this is tough, so this was a great contribution. The work on each cabin was being divided into sections. The highest peaks or “A’s”, the shutters or middle, the lower siding, and the front porch. By month-end, we had all of the A’s and lower siding done on all cabins and one front porch in Chickahominy. Over in Weyanock, we managed to power wash the lodge and another cabin. Between rain showers, we managed to stain one more deck as well.
Our current park transport is a gas-powered golf cart that is intended for use as a park shuttle during concerts. It is aging, and it was no surprise when the upper half of the windshield parted from its flexible gasket and fell off one day. When the temperatures dropped, the increasing wind chill from the missing upper panel was beginning to be a problem. As the park used our golf cart as a shuttle for its first concert in a year, the missing windshield made for some cold rides.
Dave went to work and found a piano hinge and some VHB tape as a likely solution. Careful to position the hinge just right so that it would fold up and down easily, we installed the hinge and we now have both halves in working order – in time for the cold winds to blow.
We enjoyed some visits from Bonnie and Troy and the kids, as well as Andi and Max on 2 different occasions. However, this guy was not quite so welcome a visitor.