With Joe’s arrival, we had some significant help in our work on the Chickahominy cabins. Progress accelerated as Joe took on the high ladder work required to prep and paint the upper peaks (or “A’s” as he calls them). We also continued to host the local youth from Chesterfield up until school started, who made progress painting the lower cabin walls.
Over at Weyanock, this year’s back up cabin site, we stained the lodge deck and ramp, since this would be the storage location for supplies at this site. Having the deck stained would ensure we didn’t have workers under foot, limiting access to the building’s contents.
When not lifting a brush or wielding a power washer wand, we spent time working with new and returning volunteers to ensure their questions were answered and to confirm their arrival. This led us to review the campsite reservations and discover a disturbing problem on the park’s reservation system. All campsites were marked as “not available” from Nov. 2 to 4. Hmm. . . Was there a park event we weren’t clued in to? When we raised the question, the park management discovered that the December closure had been accidentally posted to November. Once it was moved, we had our sites back. Glad we checked.
It was also time to start ordering supplies. With the lead time required to get rough-cut lumber for the cabins, we worked with Amelia Lumber to place the order for wood, and thereby discovered the dramatic increases in prices for wood since last year. On average, the prices were double, causing us to adjust the order to compensate. Hopefully, by this time next year, prices will have returned to their pre-pandemic level.
So, the work continues, but we are excited at how much is already done in this year’s cabin group compared to this time last year. Oh, and another accomplishment that we can’t take credit for – the road has been fixed! Now the trip to and from the cabins is not like bushwhacking through the woods.
We are not carpenters, but when the Friends of Pocahontas came to us to see if we could create partitions for the concessions booth at the upcoming concert, we were willing to give it a try. Using spare 2 x 4’s in the wood shop, we created 3 frames to hold a 3/16” thick piece of plexiglass, positioned 6” above the surface. Once we cut the channel to hold the plexiglass in the 3 sides, we assembled them, ensuring the channel lined up once assembled. Since we were getting done ahead of schedule, Dave decided to paint them as well. It’s not skilled craftmanship, but we’re pretty proud of the results.
The “clunk” noise was loud and not normal. Dave had just bounded down the steps leaving the RV, but something had obviously let loose. It turned out that a brace behind the steps had broken on one end. This was not going to be a simple fix. Or maybe it was. Dave found that our steps are no longer made, but that Lippert sells a replacement model that should fit the exact space. After talking with them, we found the correct model number to order. Dave was able to get a “damaged box” sale that was a good price and arrived much sooner than the alternatives.
We had some visits from family over the last couple of weeks. As school starts again, the challenges of virtual learning (and teaching) were mostly the topic of conversation. Bonnie worked with Troy and the kids to create a teaching space in her attic, while the kids each have their own “classroom” inside each of their bedrooms. Jayden is probably learning over the largest distance, as he logs on in Virginia to his classes in upstate NY. And Droz’ year continues to be anti-climatic as he begins his college life on the computer in his room. But, in person, we enjoyed the company, even venturing into a new take-out food – Chinese.
Also, the minibots were a big hit.