Staying in one place for 9 months causes all sort of “concrete” to be poured around your RV, making it harder to pick up and go. So, upon our return to Jacksonville from Cathy’s treatment in Frederick, we got into full gear dismantling and prepping to move. Although our planned departure date would be Saturday of Labor Day weekend, there was one deadline that made us get ready almost a week early.
l sort of “concrete” to be poured around your RV, making it harder to pick up and go. So, upon our return to Jacksonville from Cathy’s treatment in Frederick, we got into full gear dismantling and prepping to move. Although our planned departure date would be Saturday of Labor Day weekend, there was one deadline that made us get ready almost a week early.
So, we were feeling pretty good about what we’d managed to get done when we pulled out to get our new tires Tuesday morning. We even got the Labor Day discount on top of the price match Dave had negotiated. The new tires were mounted and filled with air. Using our tire pressure sensors, Dave was able to detect that 2 of the tires were under-filled, a problem that was quickly corrected. Within an hour we were done and headed back to Faith . We still had 4 days to get the final checklist done. Things were going well.
We realized that if it made landfall in Florida, even if it was much further south, the evacuation routes largely ran by Jacksonville. We didn’t want to become snarled in that kind of traffic. On Wednesday morning, we started thinking about leaving Friday. By Wednesday night, we had decided to leave on Thursday. By noon Thursday, we were on our way north.
Leaving the boat in advance of a hurricane is a little unsettling, but we felt pretty good about it being protected from the elements under its cover. However, enough time had passed that the waterproofing needed to be refreshed. Cathy washed it and then sprayed the top half with 303 Fabricguard. Inside, a new tub of DampRid was placed to absorb moisture over the next few months. It had been working well for the last year, keeping the mold and mildew at bay.
As we prepared to leave Faith, we had a “short list” of tasks that we needed (or wanted) to complete before we left for Virginia for a few months. One that made the list was to put more AC in Peeler Hall, where the Spanish congregation was now holding services. Since they had moved, the existing unit wasn’t keeping up with a building full of people. The solution was to redeploy a floor AC unit, but we needed a way to vent the exhaust. Using a drill, a hole saw, and a couple of trips to the hardware store, the exhaust was routed through a dryer vent hose and fitting to the outside. After all was in place with the unit on, the heat leaving through the new exhaust vent told us all was working well. The real test came that night during Bible study when all was cool!
Thankfully, given the late summer heat, there were more indoor tasks. Dave configured a computer to make a spare available in the office. He also helped Beyond90 set up their new computer classroom at Faith, installing a router and connecting to wifi. In preparation for Wednesday suppers to begin again, Cathy spent some time in the kitchen, cleaning and organizing.
Leaving on Thursday before Labor Day, we had few options for the weekend with so little advance notice. We decided to stay at a Walmart Thursday night in SC, putting enough miles between us and Florida to be ahead of any traffic fleeing the storm. The weekend was going to be a bigger problem. Searching through campgrounds online, there was one possibility that looked promising. Several non-electric campsites were available at Jordan Lake State Recreation Area in NC SE of Raleigh. It would be hot during the day without AC, but with the shade of the trees, we could make it work.