There was only one major project to be done on Orion before we put her on the market. The teak around the forward and mid-cleat on the starboard caprail needed to be replaced since it had split due to the problem with the cleat installation typical of Beneteaus (i.e., an stainless steel cleat in a aluminum sleeve that expands and contracts due to the dissimilar metals in the saltwater environment). While we were considering our options, we discussed the problem with a recent arrival on the dock at Joy’s Marina. Dan had some woodworking skills and offered to do the job for a very good price. So, we just needed to marshal the supplies and the work could begin.
With the caprail repair done, what else was there to do? Nothing major, but a lot of little things that would make the boat show her best.
Fresh Water: Since the fresh water had been winterized, we emptied, refilled it with some bleach added and then emptied and refilled it again. The antifreeze had fouled the PurestOne filter as well, so we replaced it. We now routinely drink the water again.
Head/Holding Tank: We put several gallons of vinegar through the head into the holding tank and let it sit for several days to eat away anything left in the lines and the holding tank. Now the head has no odor at all.
Bimini / Enclosure: With the sewing machine back in Hampton, Cathy took down the bimini and re-stitched all its seams and bindings. She inspected the enclosure panels and re-stitched any that needed it. Finally, she cleaned and polished the strataglass panels.
Coast Guard Safety Inspection: We checked over our safety supplies and prepared for a safety inspection. We realized we had taken Orion's flares to the little boat by mistake, so we bought some more and passed our inspection with flying colors.
On Deck: Cathy stripped the swim platform, the swim ladder stairs and the cockpit drain, which were showing some more wear than the other wood. She re-applied the Cetol to all the wood on deck and it’s looking the best it has in years. She also waxed the deck and polished the stainless steel to add to the shine.
Engine: Having changed oil and filters before leaving in the fall, we just had to run the antifreeze out of the engine and it was ready to go.
Bilge: We checked under the floor boards and cleaned under all of them. The bilge pump in the aft cabin, which had been wired to run continuously when installed, was changed to switch on only when the instruments were on or the manual switch was thrown. This will prevent it from accidentally running down the batteries. The bilge pump in the main saloon had been inadvertently disabled when our friend cleaned out the filter and didn’t secure the cover cleanly. Once back in place the bilge worked fine.
Bottom Cleaning: Our friend Sue cleaned the bottom and replaced the zinc.
Instruments / Electronics: We turned on the instruments and checked out the electronics. Some work done over the winter had jostled a connection loose under the helm that was easily restored.
Deck Washdown: Another problem we discovered was the deck washdown fitting under the sink in the head had broken, presumably due to too much pressure being applied by items stored in the compartment. Dave ordered a new fitting and installed it, but we were grateful we discovered it before we opened the thru-hull for the deck washdown. Whew!
With the boat cleaned up and in shipshape, Dave began placing ads on various internet sites and posting flyers locally. Thanks to his efforts, we’ve already had a few inquiries and have shown the boat once. We’ll see how it goes.